Sunday, December 5, 2010

11/8/10: The Departed


The Departed

Basic Plot: To take down South Boston's Irish Mafia, the police send in one of their own to infiltrate the underworld, not realizing the syndicate has done likewise in Martin Scorsese's multiple Oscar-winning crime thriller. While an undercover cop (Leonardo DiCaprio) curries favor with the mob kingpin (Jack Nicholson), a career criminal (Matt Damon) rises through the police ranks. But both sides soon discover there's a mole among them.

Rating: 5/5

My Thoughts: Once again, any twist ending or ending that not only completes but concludes makes a movie. Leonardo DiCaprio can be put in ANY role and perform phenomenally. Matt Damon also plays an interesting character, but I like Leo's character better. The line between good and bad is very thin, and it's rather hard to tell who's good, who's bad, and who you ultimately want to win in the end. Martin Scorsese is also a GREAT director. Probably my third favorite behind Nolan and Tarantino.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, this movie didn't do it for me either. The acting was excellent mind you, but the story was stupid, unrealistic and had no point. Here's the plot: Super confusing interlocking conspiracies to make the audience feel retarded, then kill everyone just to piss the audience off.

    I feel that it is the point of movies for an audience member to walk out and some how feel changed or different than when they walked in. See Inception for example. THIS movie on the other hand had me walking out wondering why I just wasted 2 hours of my life.

    ReplyDelete