Sunday, December 5, 2010

10/4/10: Dr. Strangelove


Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Basic Plot: When a fanatical U.S. general (Sterling Hayden) launches an air strike against the Soviets, they raise the stakes by threatening to unleash a "doomsday device," setting the stage for Armageddon in this classic black comedy that brilliantly skewers the nuclear age. The film's star-studded cast includes George C. Scott, Slim Pickens, James Earl Jones and Peter Sellers (who steals the show and copped an Oscar nod playing three roles).

Rating: 3.5/5

My Thoughts: While, overall, I love the film, in review, it does start off rather slow. The funny, witty comments keep you entertained, but if you don't pick up on quick one-liners, you're out of luck. There isn't much action, aside from the general shooting at Soviets while discussing the "precious fluid." Maybe I have just seen it so many times, but now, the movie just does not do it for me. However, I do and always will love Stanley Kubrick films.

No comments:

Post a Comment